The role of a CPCS Tester
A CPCS Tester is required to assess an individual’s knowledge, understanding and performance against the CPCS Technical Test criteria.
A CPCS Tester must be up to date with the latest CPCS requirements such as the CPCS Training Syllabi, CPCS Approved Code of Delivery and CPCS Practical Test Specifications, first aid and health and safety matters.
A CPCS Tester is an individual who has suitable and sufficient industry and operating knowledge and ability on the category of plant in all its acceptable uses and environments, has met the CPCS Scheme requirements to become a CPCS Tester and has been issued with a CPCS Tester card.
A CPCS Tester must work within an Approved CPCS Test Centre to supervise, deliver and provide written feedback on:
- CPCS Theory Tests in a classroom environment using verbal questioning techniques in a one-on-one situation with the operator
- CPCS Practical Tests in a practical test environment
- CPCS On-site Assessments in a live work environment or a suitable location that ensures the activities can be completed
The CPCS Tester will only be able to operate as a Tester within the remit of the CPCS Test Centre(s) to which they are registered. The CPCS Tester may choose to operate through one or more CPCS Test Centres.
Further information on the role of a Tester is available in the Scheme Booklet for Testers.
NOCN Job Cards are now offering a £500 bursary towards CPCS Tester Training.
CPCS Testers are required to assess an individual’s knowledge, understanding, and performance against the CPCS Technical Test criteria. Many plant operators make the change as they want to help others achieve their potential, but what are the benefits for you?
- Professional Development - As a CPCS Tester you will build a range of skills, including assessment and communication skills. Many testers go on to develop further skills in the education and training sector including becoming, tutors, EQA’s or Construction EPA Assessors.
- A Change of Role - If you have spent most of your working life on-site, on machines you might be looking of new ways to use your skills, a role that is less hands-on, but still gives you the opportunity to stay in the plant sector. CPCS Testers are able to use their professional experience, but also get to see a subject from an entirely different angle.
- Meet New People - One of the most interesting aspects of becoming a CPCS Tester I getting to know learners and operators from all walks of life. You will be able to build a wide network of contacts within the plant and education sectors.